The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Friday, October 1, 2010

Dads & Daughters

I am seriously considering doing a mission trip to Biloxi,MS(actually it's Ocean Springs a not so seedy neighborhood). It is a joint project between many churches & Habitat For Humanity to help those who losed their homes to Hurricane Katrina and are still living in FEMA housing 5 yrs later. I had talked to the leader of our group about equipment needs. He said "We have found it is best to take your own hammer & tool belt." I thought about my carpentry toolbox my Dad gave me for Christmas when I was 7 yrs old. He was sick of me dumping his minature wood toolbox that he kept his plumbing washers in. His big carpenters toolbox was too heavy and big for me to carry around the house so I took to using his plumbing toolbox for a carpentry toolbox. I would walk around the house telling my Mom "I'm going to be a carpenter like Daddy someday." He convinced my sister Mary to paint my name on this green metal toolbox. He then put a small trim saw & a hammer in it. He said " Now Katie, you have your own carpenters toolbox. You don't need to be dumping my plumbing toolbox." It took him about 3 times of gently scolding me & I finally accepted it. I thought the other day..."Where is that hammer?". I have several claw hammers but, when I see THAT claw hammer or THAT trim saw...I always think of my Dad. I don't know if I'll take that hammer but, I know that everytime I hold a claw hammer I remember Father always being real clear that there was a certain way one holds the hammer when they swing.

In other news I have a whopper of a upper respiratory infection. I missed 2 days of work last week and got put on a Avelox/Prednisone combo. It knocked out a lot of the problem but, this week I have a rattling cough I can't shake. I don't know what I'll get put on next but, I do know I'll have to wait till next week to see a dr again. I hope I don't have to go in & out of drs offices like I did 3 yrs ago after attending Strictly Sail!

No comments: