When you use a inhaler with a spacer you increase the delivery effectiveness by 60%. There are two major spacers out there. One of the most widely known and expensive that I am aware of is the Aero-Chamber. The second is the Optihaler.
The Aero-Chamber is about 3 times the price of the Optihaler, cumbersome and much more indestructable. If I have the choice....which I do....I choose the Optihaler. The Optihaler conveniently stows the inhaler canister and is compact(Yes, I did destroy one accidently at work when I dropped it on the floor). If you do not have either of those options do not hesitate to ask for the spacer used when you have a PFT done. You've paid for it (or someone did) and they will just throw it away anyway!
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking