The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Sunday, April 1, 2007

I came, I saw and I conquered!!

I drove my truck up to Minocqua in scattered pouring rain. I was almost positive I would not participate in the Only Fools Run At Midnoght 5k. I been shopping earlier in the day and everytime I'd get out of my vehicle or come out of a building my lungs would tighten up.

I had never been to Minocqua before so, I had to stop somewhere to get directions to the American Legion. I missed the parking lot(Boy, do they have a lot of one way streets for a northern Wisconsin town!!) and had to drive around a bit to get back to it. I sat there in the parking lot trying to decide should I just go get my goodie bag and scratch or since I'm up here should I go ahead and participate. I had all the gear need to participate along. It had stopped raining. I sat there a good 20 minutes trying to decide. When I stopped to get directions my lungs didn't tighten up like they had all day.....that was the weight that tipped the scale! I started something and darn it all I was going to finish it!! I was not going to quit.

Certain aspects of the event I felt could have been handled different. Twenty minutes before the race started at 12AM a guy came out and started talking to/directing us. Then he got us near the starting line. Then he started trying to talk to us via a bull horn to tell us about the race....every so often I would hear something he would say but, the indians were restless. I started out at the front of the walkers but, as the walk went on I fell more behind. I am pretty sure I didn't finish last but, I was disappointed in myself because I have done 4.5 mph at a level for incline on the treadmill at ost. In my defense though I can say I ran into crosswinds blowing wood smoke which caused my lungs to tighten up, walked up 4 mild inclines in 40 degree weather, got passed by a guy(on 2 seperate occasions) wearing aftershave or cologne that caused my lungs to tighten up and I ran into to strong headwind (tailwinds don't bother my lungs) six times which made it hard to breathe. My solution each time was to either slow down temporarily or permanently. I did 5k in 56minutes. I thought 5k was 2.5 miles until I looked it up on the internet tonight. 5K is 3.1 miles.

I drove home afterwards and about the time I hit Hawkins I was glad to know where I was cause I was very tired. I usually have a tough time getting to sleep. When I got home I don't think my head was resting on my pillow 5 minutes and I was OUT!!

1 comment:

Heleen said...

Hi there,

We can shake hands, I also have zz alpha 1. I was diagnosed when I was 7 years old and had a liver infection. Now after 18 years of good health I suffer from sevear Panniculitus and vasculitus. In the Netherlands is medication like prolastin only prohibited when you suffer from emphysema. So no Prolastin for me. I'm sick now for 7 months and we don't know how long it will take on antibiotics for me to get well.

So embrase your health and live from day to day because you never know when it can go wrong...