The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Friday, April 25, 2008

Nobody clobbered me on the freeway!

Finding the cancer wellness center was a peice of cake once I had a good chicago & vicinity map! Finding the Hilton in Oakbrook was challenging. I called my friend Rich to help and he talked about nobody would be letting me in during rush hour but, I never had a problem.

I ate very well tonight. I sat at a table w/ Darrel Nall. I told him I needed to get my Prednizone(sp?) prescription filled and Darrel Nall said he'd make sure I was able to get what I needed. He's very good at making sure alphas have what they need at ed days and the National alpha1 convention as far as medical needs are concerned....at least from my observations.

I had been getting burned out on fundraising but, a visit w/ Wally Checkalski last night reminded me why I had wanted to in the first place. I made a last minute pledge drive effort and stopped to visit him as his wife died of ovarian cancer a little over a year ago. He talked about Hope House in Marshfield, about how much he pays attention to whats going on in cancer research and the fact he and Anne were about 8 months shy of their 60th wedding aniversary when she passed. It was very humbling to listen to him. I found myself getting kinda emotional. It was almost as if I was right back in July of 2007.

No comments: