I've been struggling with respiratory issues for a month or two. Each spring it seems to get a little worse. I wound up using a new prescription for predinisone and a new antibiotic named doxicyline hyclate. I had some great physical highs while in Chicago.
-I ran 30 ft to my car in big bad airred Chicago Friday and my lungs didn't tighten up when I
-I woke up Sunday morning feeling like a million bucks!!
- I got up Sunday morning and my peakflows increased 200%
- I walked like a son of a gun and I talked like a son of a gun during the Stepping Up To Wellness walk...I was on cloud 9...I felt normal and was sure if I had completed the 5k I would have made some serious time
The next day my peak flows had dropped 33% of what they were the day before, I felt crummy, I developed a fever and began urinating a lot and every irrational fear kicked in!
Was I going to be on oxygen in 6 months or less? Was my liver giving out? Maybe I'm never going to feel better.
Yesterday I felt good overall again!
I met Dr. Hogarth who as I've said before I want to have as my new pulmonologist. It was either Dr. Hogarth or Dr. Love who said during their speaking segment that Alpha1 was more common than Cystic fybrosis and hodgkins. That's really sad. We all need to do our part to help raise awareness about alpha1. I also asked Marlene Irwin about putting together an audio PSA for us alphas to submit to our local radio stations. She said she would see what she could do! The Alpha1 Association is continually trying to help make our lives better.
I always try to see and try something different when I'm in Chicago. To my sisters Jane, Mary & Johanna....you'll be so pleased with me. I tried mussels for the first time and like them! I also stopped by a Rockler store in Schaumberg. That was fun, too!
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking