The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking
Monday, August 17, 2009
The Weekend Was Survived!
I only made it 15.6 miles on the Dairyland Dare. I began to experience a headache off and on. Then it became a persistent headache. Enlight on my neice & nephews losing an uncle on their fathers side to heat stroke suffered on a roofing job earlier this summer I decided there was more honor in sagging! I didn't have to peel myself off the lawn @ Harris Park. I did hydrate enough but, am wondering if I have to over fuel myself due to alpha1 an having just a little over half the use of my lungs??? They say when you have alpha1 as your disease progresses your body needs more energy to do the things you do. In essence more energy than people with healthy lungs. I've heard when we bicycle for extended periods of time we burn at least 1200 calories an hour. We need to drink at least 24 oz of water and hour on extended rides as well. If your thirsty it's already too late because you are already dehydrated!