Has recently been changed from May as it has been for many years....to the month of November as of this year.
Although, I think it is a poor choice especially when this is a colder month for fund raising events & publicity events for those of us in the northern states in the USA. I did cook up something that even if you are on oxygen you can do to help raise awareness about alpha1. Talk to your local library director or head librarian about their doing a showcase about alpha1/COPD just as they do during breast cancer awareness month. It is so easy! A healthy mind Healthy Body cd(make sure they limit viewing to in the library so others will always have the opportunity to veiw it. Then there is that Neil Schnactner(or is it Schnacter) book and we always have our various newsletters we get from alpha1 drug companies, other company's(accreddo, coram, centric) and alpha1 organizations as well.
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking