The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Surprises, Setbacks & Simplicity

Over the last few months I've had several surprises. My cabin property taxes went up 37% so they are almost 2x what my farm taxes are. I wound up doing my home improvements myself because the contractors either weren't available or wanted to be paided up front. While preparing my house for what I thought was going to be a reappraisal I discovered my palm pilot charger(I thought I'd accidently thrown it out when I moved)....when I found the charger it felt like Christmas or Fourth of July!! When I went in w/ up to date financial paperwork the loan officer & I were both flabbergasted! The new loan laws kicked in and the only ones they will help is the financial institutions that we helped bail out. My closing cost on a refi cashout went from $2717 wrapped into the loan to $5600 with $4600 up front. Then two weeks later the loan officer called to tell me they turned me down because of a satelite photo of my farmette(hobby farm) because they felt they couldn't get their money back out of it. At first I was stunned because I knew I had paid $10,000 under market value. My next reaction was "Don't bet against me!!"

So, having tired of all the back flips, handstands & cartwheels I had been doing for different lending institutions I hopped in my truck and went to talk to a banker friend of mine. He essentially said why not as you say hunker down & dig out. What was really frustrating though is I had made all these home improvements and if I hadn't my property taxes would be half paid! There's two ways to look at it though:

1) I would be in better shape financially if I hadn't made the improvements

2) Or since I made the home improvements and switched bedrooms I am sleeping better and my house looks nicer

So, I can't afford medication right now. The only things I'm focusing on is staying upper respiratory infection free, keeping up with my monthly bills, getting my taxes paid up, keeping a vehicle in good mechanical order & keeping my job.

I am looking forward to October 10th, 2010. It will be the day I will become medical bill free for the first time in 3 years. I first thought maybe go out for a fish fry or pizza to celebrate. Then thought..."Man, this is tooooo BIG an event to just eat out!" . I have decided to invite some friends over....grill some brats & have a big bon fire behind my barn!!

By July I will be caught up on taxes even on reduced hours. In a few weeks I'll receive my five yr 1 % bonus. March 3, 2010 I got lucky and won Glory B's popsicle stick drawing. $701!!! That will help me buy a 3 month supply of Spiriva & pay for some other things.

A few weeks ago I talked w/ the nurse who taught me how to do my own infusion. She got pretty upset when I told her what had been happening in December and that I couldn't pay for meds. She said the reason I was becoming hypo-glycemic was because my body was having to work so much harder to help my lungs work. I mean I knew a lot of times when your lung function gets down below 25% you body requires a lot more calories to function but, I didn't know up in the 50 % lung function group could have those same issues. I now eat whatever I want and I have had very few sugar low "crashes". My weight has stabilized. I'm pretty confident I'll never go back to eating two meals a day!

In an effort to lower my stress level. I turned down an opportunity to participate in a a-net focus group opportunity because I thought there was the possibility of it being too stressful on my body if the interview happened late in the day. It was in downtown Chicago and if it was @ 4pm or later it might take longer than the typical 6.5 hrs to get home. I also have dialed back on my involvement in regional political support. A band @ non-alcohol political fundraiser might draw the wrong crowd I was told. Gotta love some rural americans!

Just last week I called the Superior Census 2010 office to see when they were scheduling trianing. I was transfer to a second person and was encouraged! The lady said that my name came under the radar(because of my score in the 90 percentile) for a supervisor & crew positions but, there were floaters(someone who had turned down a higher position but, still wanted to be considered for a job) with higher scores. She said my score was in 90% was high. She said they were going to be hiring about 2,000 numerator positions soon.

No comments: