The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rest In Peace.....Cindy Wilson

For those of you who didn't have the opportunity to meet Cindy I am truly sorry. Chicagoland has lost a very preservering alpha1 support group leader & friend. When my sister called me Last Wednesday night to tell me the news I cried. I never would have bet against her. I first met her in April of 2007. She was spunky, caring & opinionated! In October of 2008 she received a single lung tx. She had shot up from 25 lung function to 75% lung function. She was on top of the world. She was experienced living in a way she hadn't in yrs. I had called her this fall because and email just wouldn't do! I just so happened her new lung was failing her and the next day she was to findout the verdict...if she would be permitted to be be relisted. She said to me "It is what it is." She was not sad. Just accepting that it could go either way. I just keep thinking about that James Taylor song "Fire & Rain". I've seen fire & I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days I thought would never end. I've seen lonely days when I could not find a friend but, I always thought I'd see you again. She was 53 yrs old.

No comments: