The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Sunday, October 7, 2007

It's flu season again!

I want to remind newly diagnosed alphas out there that it's very important you get your flu shot yearly and keep your pneumonia shot up to date....if you don't you can be declined a lung transplant. It's equally important to keep on your maintenance meds as well! If you do not keep using them you can also be declined a lung transplant last time I read up on it. If you can't afford the maintenance meds let anybody & everybody know...you'd be surprised how others will help you find a way to get you the meds you really need. I haven't gotten my flu shot but, it is very much on my wish list of things to do!

I've been working unusually long hours and have had some personal matters I felt compelled to attend to. I just went into urgent care today. I was put on a course of 5 pills of 500mg azithromycin and a second course of prednisone.

I can't hardly wait for this next paycheck to roll around....I can renew my Body Shop membership and start reconditoning my body. Then it's onto setting up my Gary Fischer bike up on my Kurt Kinetic trainer so, I can begin training for the Team Alpha1 Lake Front Bike Trek next June. WooHoo!!

I also think I wouldn't mind taking a stab at "The Dare" or "The Horribly Hilly"!

No comments: