The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Sunday, October 14, 2007

One Foot, Two Foot

I stopped over in Bruce tonight to eat and I started talking to one of the owners. She didn't know I had cancer earlier this summer nor did she know I had this alpha1. She asked me with my health condition was marriage possible for me. We then launched into a discussion about intimacy.

We can either tell ourselves we can only go one foot or.....we can tell ourselves we can go two foot. As an Alpha I choose to believe I can go two foot. I'm too scared to sell myself short because I know others out there will out of concern for my welfare. I have on ocassion sold myself short though. It's usually in terms of relationships. Every now and then I tell myself that I shouldn't date and I can come up with one of the longest lists in the world.....then I'll wind up reading an article like the one I read in a pamphlet I recieved at the Hike For Healthy Lungs. It said even when you have COPD(alpha1 is a form of copd) intimacy is still very doable....then I think "Why you smuck! Well, of course it is!!" Or I'll read an article about a couple that marries even though she is on oxegen. It still happens folks! Love knows no boundaries. And...Yes, by most married folks standards(and some singles)....it's still a wonderful thing!

The same holds true for exercise but, I'm really good at telling myself I can go two feet when everybody else tells me I can only go one foot. There are days when I can only go 1/2 foot, other days I can go 2.5 feet but, most days I go somewhere in between(usually 1.5 ft) The days I exceed expectations are the days I savor & relish!! They are absolutely AWESOME !!

No comments: