The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Books, Brakes(breaks) & ATTmosphere

What a combo, huh! Well, everybody knows Katie LOVES books(Thank You Mrs. Deeg whereever you are...last I knew was Chattanooga,TN). Mrs Deeg turned the hatred for reading Mrs. Frieberg created inside out! She turned me onto "The Boxcar Children" and I went from a 5th grade reading level to a 12 grade reading level in a little over 3 years. I also gained a beyond 12 grade comprehension level! I bought the book Too Big To be Small But, Too Small To Be Big and the Bible(KJV).

When I was in college I made a commitment to read 3 pages a day(well sort of...it all averaged out)...one day I think I only managed 1/4 or 1/2 a page...a lot of begots(sp?). It was actually really interesting. There are a lot of great stories(parables) in the bible. My favorite is King Soloman's Wise Ruling(I Kings Ch 3 vs. 16 - 28). Back then I found Genesis & Psalms quite boring. I guess I've become more tolerant w/ age as I don't find them so irritating! I am happy if I read 1 page of the bible a night right now!! I don't read as fast as I used to. Plus, I'm extremely tired. I don't turn down OT or much voluntary OT.

Breaks(brakes)...what's that about? I was told doing rotor brakes was much easier than drum brakes...NOT!! I wound up calling a farmer friend of mine over to help when I attempted them. We proceeded to break the corners of the star bit off and ruin a 3/8 socket rachet. After getting only 3 - 4 bolts loose he concluded I would be better off putting it back together and letting an automechanic work on them...I agreed. However, I was thankful as I suddenly have the opportunity to work all kinds of OT!! I now have paid 2 different automotive shops to fix my brakes. One did the front and another did the back.

ATTmosphere which I believe is a division of Aralast or at least somehow related to them is for all Alpha1 sufferers..not just Baxter/Aralast Patients. Jules from there advocate program was an absolute godsend. She helped push through self- infusion w/ my health insurance provider. I have been so frustrated w/ Homecare. I have had 2 successful self- infusiopns in a row and have been able to have my infusions at a consistent time! Plus, it saves about $8,000/ yr insurance cost. I don't have to worry about procedure not being followed properly..I. E. no Benadine(sp?) used before insertion of needle or no small bore attachment being used or worse yet overall procedure & common sense not being followed/used.

Although, I am not likely to post much for the next 3 - 4 months(busy schedule) life for the most part is going in the right direction.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

No comments: