The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Long time no talk...Lots to tell!

Hi folks!

I have been very tired lately. To the point I was falling asleep at the wheel going to work. I told my Pulmonologist at Mayo about that as well as the fact my rib cage is expanding I guess because of bulla in the bottom of one of my lungs. My pulmonologist has switched me from Combivent to Spireva(sp?). Finally turned in the scrip @ the local Wal-Mart but, they couldn't get it filled & processed before I went to work today. Told the Pharmacist I would have to pick it up tomorrow as I had to get to work. He paused as he was walking behind the counter w/ a deer in the headlights look(which if you know him means he feels really bad they weren't able to get my script filled before I left).

I am feeling more rested. I am still cancer free as of Wednesday. I had to laugh though....when I was called in for the mammogram they asked who I was and assigned me changing room # 7. I'm sure there are ladies out there very afraid of a quick comeback of the Big C but, not me!!

I got a week of voluntary layoff next week. I am supposed to have a two part article that is to appear in Silent Sports magazine over the next 2 or 3 months. Burdy gave me grief uptown tonight for not seeing me training like he saw me last year. I also decided to let that piece of land go because the person who had it for sale wanted too much for it. I decided to make an offer on(I cringe as I say this) a double wide on a basement with 11 acres. It is in a township that the roads are better cared for during the winter and during the summer gets far more traffic. I reasoned that I could sell pick your own fruit and be very sick or rent out recreational equipment and be very sick. I then could save up money to buy a far superior piece of land at a later date to build a dream home on. Nobody started at the top of the heap and in the event my lungs deteoriated much faster than expected I would not have as large a debt load.

I am still mowing lawns but, picked up my commercial mower from my girlfriend in Janesville. I now wear a 2 strap disposable respirator mask when I am mowing lawns as well as when I'm raking. I am looking forward to my garden I was unable to have last year. I feel bad for the GM workers in Janesville that will soon be w/o a job(I grew up in J-ville and I still have friends who work at "the plant").

Tommorow I go take my bike up to a bike shop in Eau Claire to see about getting it changed over from a 24 speed to a 27 speed. In addition to that I get to see how many water bottle holders I can install on my bike. This morning I am hoping to figureout how to load songs on my Ilo I bought a month ago. Burdy's BIL("bad Brad") is going to loan me his CD collection . I am hoping loading 160 songs on it will be enough to get me through the Dairyland Dare 100k. Also, I did attend the on the water seminar at Wayzata Yacht club. I got persuaded to attend a baseball game in the Twin Cities(Minneapolis/St. Paul). It is the Twins vs. Brewers game June 29th and it will be the first baseball game I have attended since I was 11 or 12 w/ my church youth group(my Father wasn't fond of sports as a rule).

No comments: