I feel very under prepared but, not because of my alpha1....because I have never done the trek. The Dairyland Dare is one of the most difficult bike treks in Wisconsin. Long work hours a couple weeks did curtail working out though in favor of rest.
I am a newbie as a bike trekker in my minds eye. I wonder mostly will I pace and fuel myself right. Every newbie has those concerns. Due to the humidity I have been cross training at OST. I've been averaging 1.5 hour long workouts. Last night I increased all the weights I lift by 10lbs as well as increase the height of the ab crunch board by one notch. I skipped tonight because I strained my back at work tonight and felt it was in my best interest to give it a rest.
I am gaining weight but, I feel muscles tightening up and my shape changing. I constantly have to remind myself that muscle weighs more than fat and eventually the scales will begin to tilt the other way. Even if I am unable to complete the 66 DD I still feel I'm getting in better shape. I was able to get my stick last week the first time w/ no vein collapse. So like Dr Kyle said lifting weights strengthens veins. Last week was the first time in months I didn't have a vein collapse after I got the safety intima(some know these as angio sets) in the vein. That was GREAT!!!
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking