The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Friday, December 26, 2008

For Those Looking From The Outside In

I have thought about this many times and get frustrated. When you are on the outside looking in at what another individual is experiencing as a result of a life threatening disorder/disease it can be invisible what they are truly feeling or thinking. Do you ignore it or do you confront the little known or unknown?


In the last 1.5 yrs my health issues have created an emotional roller coaster ride for me. When I was diagnosed w/ cancer my attention was full on. The perimeters were more clear. I now look at it as little more than a speed bump. With the alpha1 because so little is known about it and there are many contradictory reports about what is good/bad & right/wrong. You live in a state of constant uncertainty with it. Every alphas story is different. I exercise, ride bike & sail for three reasons:


1 - for better health


2 - to create awareness


3 - for mental health(when I am doing any of them I am focused on performance and good

form...not my worries or fears)



I don't have time to worry about my retirement or wasting my life pursueing somebody to file a lawsuit against because they didn't give me the perfect solution to my problems. I recognize I have imperfections of my own. By far my greatest fear is not dying BUT, the living(special moments) I might miss out on. My deepest desire is to maximize my life experiences in the amount of lifetime I am allotted inspite of my limitations that will continue to grow over time.

For those of you diagnosed w/ alpha1 make time for the things you are still able to do which you have said "Someday I'm going to _________." For those of you with a friend, co-worker or relative diagnosed with alpha1 make time to do what you thought "Someday I'm going to ______ for/with ________."

No comments: