Been a long week but, it has slowly improved. On Monday my back caused me so much pain I actually wasn't sure I was going to make it out of bed. I haven't been that stiff since working tobacco harvest back in 91 and hadn't been that sore since I first blew out that disk in my lower back in 99. Bought a jar of blue goo...it has emu oil in it which helps the oinment go 4 layers deeper(I had heard that from an ER nurse years ago). Today was the first day I didn't grimice when I sat up in bed! Woo Hoo!!!! You would have thought I would have been in severe pain given what all I did yesterday! I mowed for about three hours on my hydrostatic Skag walk behind standing on the velke. Then I tilled for a couple hours followed by hand planting vine plants for a couple more hours. It's hard to believe that back pain messes up more than sleep. It can also mess with your appetite and digestion as well. Food is starting to taste good again.
I had even gone so far as call Mayo to see about having an MRI. It's interesting how they handled it vs. UW- Madison. They asked me many questions and said their doctors would review my case and let me know what they decide in 10 days( 2 weeks). The soonest I could see a dr was September 14th as a new patient. I called UW- Madison to see about getting an MRI and they directing me right to Neurology and told me I need see a primary dr to get an MRI requested for me. Although, I am better I am going to call back to see if it would still be advisable to get an MRI done. Talked to Karen about all this and she is in worse shape than me. She went on to say sometimes it takes forever for her to get up in the morning and she heads right to a hot shower to help loosen her up! She also told me an exercise to do and some names of some pain meds that relieve the pain but, don't make you drowsy. Thankfully I don't have to see a dr for pain. I don't like to take anymore meds than neccessary!
If I continue to improve I believe it is in my best interest to get my membership renewed @ OST and get back to working those back and ab muscles. That will help my back & LUNGS! I was always telling myself " Where will I find the time to squeeze that in!?"...now I realize " How much longer will it take me to the same tasks IF I don't exercise!?".
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking