What is it they say "experience is a great teacher"....well, a recent experience drove that point home!
I had replaced furnace filter with the spare the previous owners had left. It was a filter that removed 8 different things instead of one that removed 11 different things. My eyes had been itching for several days. I decided to replace it with the higher filtration filter. Next morning when I woke up my eyes didn't itch and I had an easier time of breathing. It costs a couple bucks more than the lower filtration filter but, the difference it makes in quality of life is worth every penny!!
Also, micro fiber or leather covered furniture is better for your lungs than cloth covered furniture. They don't trap/hold things that are detrimental to your lungs. Likewise if you can do away with carpet & knick-knacks which hold dust and other nasty's that is also a worthy pursuit to protect your lungs.
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking