The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Living Well While Living With Uncertainty

I thought a lot about that today. I have had my share of bumps and bruises along the way in life. Some brought on by me some brought on by others( in the form of layoffs). I haven't posted because I promised not to be an Oscar the grouch! Monday morning I went into work while others who had as much as 25 - 40 years in got mandatory layoff. I sat in my car arriving 35 minutes early to work looking at the factory thinking about my co-workers. How many would be there...How many wouldn't be returning ever. I had bid on the position as a aluminum extrusion sawyer four years ago because it was level 4 and they always seemed to get more overtime than any other dept. It seemed so surreal. I have slightly less than 5 years in. Right now alpha1 pales in comparison to all of that!

How do you live well while living with uncertainty??? You make a choice to. You choose that your cup is half full. You direct your attention to someone or something else. As Kathy from work today said "It doesn't do you any good to worry about it!" It really does more good to focus on somebody or something else. You have the possibility of making someone elses life better and feeling good about yourself at the same time! I got a call from Michelle at Accredo today for a reorder and asked her to call me in a couple weeks. I explained what has happened and explained what I was trying to do about my low morale. She was understanding and said that was fine. I can't speak for the others that distribute augmentation therapy meds but, I suspect the same holds true....they really care about the patients!!!

Today, I choose to focus on Angel Flight Central and Grow-A-Row.

No comments: