The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Friday, June 8, 2007

What's with the bike, Katie?

That's what the owner of the sawmill I used to work at asked me up at the bank. I told him it was for my lungs and to loss weight. It's not working very well though. He said "It will eventually if you stick with it!" It's a lot more though. It's a become a great stress reliever. It's an opportunity to meet different people and educate them about alpha1. I have been feeling bad because I just haven't been able to get bike time. I did get some bike time in earlier this week. There's something about feeling the wind in your hair!

I haven't been posting for a while because the two culprits we alphas all resent: fear and anxiety mounting in me. I just just couldn't get into a possitive groove. It crested and subsided a couple of days ago. I finally realized: It didn't matter if the rest of my garden didn't get done this week...I've gotten it in later than next week and it did just fine. I can always make oak leaf wine next year and I got one of my clients lawns mowed. I've been fighting the rain but, we have really needed it! Now, I feel like I'm back on track. The augmentation therapy is helping me feel more energetic and my memory is improving, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Katie,
I just wanted to let you know that I'm so glad you were able to make it to Arlington for the convention. It's great to see you are biking and getting the word out about alpha-1.

I hope you know that you have a whole lot of cousins who share your alpha struggle and want to help you in any way we can. Keep up the good work and positive attitude.

Your alpha friend -
John Morton