The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Guess What....I didn't cry!!
It was no where near as scary as I thought it would be. Accredo Therapeutics sent out a nurse that was really cool and kinda near to my own age. The toughest part was watching the needle be stuck in my hand. I can remember bits and pieces of what she told me and did but, it's gonna take a while! She told me of a person so stove up with rheumatoid arthritis their hands were just near balls who self infused and I figure if they could do it SO CAN I!! It took about 2.25 hours but, that included paperwork. They are really thorough! They ask about advance directives, do you have enough money to buy food, do you have fire alarms and a bunch of other things. They ask these questions in our best interest as well as their own. I was surprised to hear that at one time they were giving a fellow augmentation therapy treatment and stopped after six months because he wouldn't quit smoking or clean his house. I certainly don't blame them but, MAN why would you keep smoking and not attempt to clean your home if it would enhance your quality of life and possibly extend it???