The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Thursday, May 24, 2007

I just wanted to share this with you....

I was thinking today at work how sometimes I'm really tired, sometimes I feel like I've got myself really together and other days I feel like an emotional basket case. I have read many posts on various message boards by recently diagnosed Alpha's. Many times in caps the title reads: I'VE BEEN GIVEN A DEATH SENTENCE!

Well, I am here to tell you...you are not alone!

You have not been given a death sentence!

You have been given a life sentence and you may very well have a large quantity of quality of life left in your life. USE IT WITHOUT RESERVATION!! My healthy friends always keep telling me "I could walk out the door and be hit by a car today, Katie!" I have to tell myself sometimes: I have alpha1...that's it.

For those who are spiritual people or those who think they might like to pursue such things. I thought of a very close friend who is a deeply dedicated Christian who showed me something/told me how to deal with burdens on our hearts about 20 years ago. You may laugh. I know I did then but, it actually does help! She said that we need to quit carrying the burdens on our hearts and give them to God. Then she proceeded to give a demonstration of pulling those invisible burdens from her heart and lifting them up and throwing them up on an invisible shelf(think out of reach so you can't take them back). She then proceeded to say sometimes I have to do this twenty times a day because I keep trying to take them back! I encourage you who are overwelmed by your alpha1 or just plain lifes issues to try this method of dealing with your burdens.

No comments: