The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

That rattle & suction sensation in my left lung

I did a follow-up phone call to Dr. Krowka at the Mayo clinic. It was suggested to me last week that I call him for a recommendation of what to do about it. I had done so last Friday but, he had left for the day. Often times the doctor in urgent care will ask me if I want a chest x-ray. It seems that is what Dr. Krowka wants. What we aren't sure about is if he is adament that I make an appointment to see him.

I was thinking the earlier part of last week, I wish they could do a lung wash like you can your nasal cavity. I found that out when I received some sort of report from the alpha1 association, they can. There are some other things one can do about mucus stuck in your lungs. It all sounded kinda spooky to me but, I'd be willing to try any of them if it helped my lungs function better!! I didn't know till I spoke to Noreen James a weekend or two ago that if we don't drink enough water mucus can dry up and stick to our lung walls(not cool!). You see I had coughed up some see through yellow mucus with some blood. She said I should watch that. I had just completed a long bike ride when it happened. She said strenous activity sometimes will help bring up mucus trapped in the lungs....respiratory therapists encourage it.

No comments: