The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Monday, April 30, 2007

Mag lights and crescent wrenches....

What the heck do they have in common! I was coming home from Rice Lake a couple weeks ago and I thought about both. I know that non-alphas as well as alphas read this blog.

I was cresting this hill after dark and at the bottom there were four cars pulled to the side one of the drivers had a good flashlight. At the bottom of this hill there is a pond and that was where they were flashing the light. I know that until I moved up here I never traveled with a flashlight. I have thought many times of investing in a Maglight flashlight! I know there is a reason officers hold flashlights the way they do(by the neck) when they approach you in a vehicle and that maglights are pretty sturdy.

I also know that when I would return to college in Oklahoma my Father was a strong proponent of driving until you were too tired to drive any further and drive until you get to a convenience store(park underneath a street light or) or a rest area. He used to brag about how he had stayed up for 27 hours when he was 29 years old and was driving his second load back from Virginia from Wisconsin when he began to see double lines in the road. I used to drive until I thought I was going to fall asleep. I then would Pull over, lock the doors, throw my carhart coat over me and sleep with a crescent wrench concealed. Only once did someone wake me in my truck(I was working double shifts at two different Mickey D's). It scared the heck out of the guy that woke me because the first thing he saw when I awoke was the crescent wrench!!

Investing in a mag light can either save your life or save someone else's life. I would strongly recommend that you invest in one. Just remember...if you are using one to protect yourself, always hold it up by the neck(by the light)so you can use the other end to protect yourself from a would be thug(IF needed). Up here in the sticks that is still a non-issue but, I know others of you live in big cities(a whole 'nother animal)!

Also, speaking of protection.....I passed muster with the makers of RoadID! I just don't seem to have enough motivation/time to get it up loadedI(all the codes in place)

Denny W. emailed mewith the recommendation that: I should tell somebody where I'm going and when I'm coming back. There is some merit to that in more congested areas/long rides!! I don't plan to unless I'm going on a real long ride(25 - 80 miles). I have considered stashing my RoadID in my shoulder bag and telling the Bruce and Weyerhaeuser fire dept people that is where I intend to keep it. I was thinking the other day that not all people are upstanding and that if I put it on my wrist someone who accidently hit me might try to come back and snatch it to hide my identity(they might not realize I'm friends or an aquaintence of most of the police forces and fire dept volunteers in the area). I also am thinking of buying an additional shoe RoadID.

I did manage to get some free strawberry plants planted and garden tilled w/ my horse troy-bilt tiller today. I did 10.84 miles yesterday and 4.62 miles the day before. I also got my kodak z710 digital camara software installed on my CPU last weekend....I just need to figure out how to use it in conjuntion with my easyshare dock or the cord that hooks up to my camara!

No comments: