If you have an FEV1 below 50% it's frequently recommended you participate a Pulmonary Rehabilitation program. The thing you need to know though is....not all pulmonary rehabilitation facilities are created equal.
Why should you go through Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
-it may help you remain working
-it may help you remain independent
-it may increase your quality of life
-it may help you stay of oxygen
What should I know about Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
-California has the most progressive pulmonary rehabilitation schooling
-you need to look for a pulmonary rehabilitation facilitiy where the staff continually update
their pulmonary rehab knowledge
-just because a medical clinic is progressive in one area of services they provide does not mean
they are progressive in all areas of service
*An excellent example of great pulmonary rehab facility and staff is Karen Block's Endeavour
Pulmonary rehab facility in Mequon, WI(sp?)*
Do your homework!! Your lungs depend on it!
The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1
- Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
- Learn To Breathe Effectively
- Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
- Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
- Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
- Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
- Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
- Stop Smoking