The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Monday, August 6, 2007

This just isn't my day....Sorta

I didn't get my drain tube out today but, it's a good thing! Missy(the Mayo nurse who works with Dr. Walch{plastic surgeon}) said that if they remove the tube too soon fluid may build up that my body won't asborb. It's then followed by an infection and I'll lose the implant. ....I can wait. I asked Missy many questions. One of those was which doctor has my short-term disability papers. I am rescheduled to go to Mayo on Friday and Have a 2pm appointment. They do not use FAX at Mayo. It has come to my attention that some companies(especially lawyers & medical organizations) prefer the real McCoy signature of an individual. I got a call late in the day from someone from Dr. Degnim's office(breast surgeon). She apoligized for them not processing the STD paperwork sooner but, Dr. Degnim was gone last week. I had been hearing 4 weeks off for so long and I told them there was no such thing as a light duty job where I work other than one that exposed my lungs to fumes from primer. I would need to be off 6 weeks. I foundout today the minimum time one can be off w/ a mastectomy is 6 weeks. Due to the setback with my drain tube my return to work date has changed! So, instead of going back to work the last week of August I will return to work September 10th,2007. She also promised to expediate it ASAP. Hopefully, by next week Friday I will see a short term disability check.

In other news I spoke to Virg at Barney's where I have rented a meat locker. She said not to worry too much about paying up due to STD checks not coming yet....just empty your meat locker so Don can proceed w/ remodeling! I also spoke to Cory Muller of CSL Behring and he is going to get that Yoga Mind & Body book to me soon! He also believes there is a very good chance I will be sponsored again next year to attend the Alpha1 National conference.

No comments: