The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Saturday, August 4, 2007

I Just Really Haven't Known What to Write...

I sat down several different times and signed in but, there didn't seem like much news to tell. I didn't want this blog to be more about the cancer than alpha1. I actually feel a mixed bag of emotions when I can be classified as a cancer survivor yet, I was able to catch it at such an early stage. On the other hand you can't really respond to cancer treatment in the same way that someone that doesn't have alpha1. I didn't initially realize that myself until I started to read that Mayo womens cancer book given to me by Join The Journey. I was ready to go full steam ahead with radiation until I read one of the personal stories in the book!

I had also wanted to mention about the Minnesota bridge collapse but, had been too tired to respond. I didn't know about it till 9:10 PM that night when I turned on my radio. My sister, husband and two daughters live near there. I immediately tried to call to make sure they were all ok and got a "All circuits are busy" automated response. I finally got through to my sister Johanna and she had gotten ahold of Mary right away." She knew that 3 out of 5 of them were ok. Mary's older daughter wasn't a big concern was my understanding but, her son-in-law worked on the north end of the city. Johanna figured if something had happened to one of them we would have heard from her.....as my Dad used to say "No news, is good news!". I feel for those who have lost loved ones to the MN bridge collapse.

My old nurse and my new nurse had friends that normally use that bridge and they either didn't use it that day or they crossed before it collapsed. My new nurse Lucy, doesn't have quite the nerves of steel Sue does BUT, she is developing them. I'm the first patient Lucy has ever had that sticks theirselves and is working towards completely independent self- infusing. Lucy keeps saying she is SOOO, impressed!!

I thought about when the Oklahoma City bombing happened and it seemed like it took 3 days before I could get a hold of any of my friends down there to verify they/their loved ones were ok. I can't express enough how valued my friends from college were/are to me! The last semester at Eastern Oklahoma State I had to bum a ride to McAllester once a month to go grocery shopping. I would have starved to death if I had bought groceries from Roy's Cardinal Food in Wilburton!!! I had taken liability insurance off my truck so I could pay my 3rd semester bill in order to be able to enroll for 4th semester classes. I have to laugh! I doubt if anybody I went to high school with would believe I ran for president in college or was a student senate rep. Not to mention the various other club officer positions I held that I can't remember anymore! Being on soils judging team at Eastern was surprisingly enough...pretty neat!

I've been pretty freaked out about lymphydema until my old nurse Sue talked to me about it before she left this last time. Lucy will be on her own with me this next week. Hopefully in four weeks I'll be completely independent!!

I still haven't gotten my drain out from surgery. I just can't seem to get down to 30cc fluid in two days. It's really starting to irritate me physically(the drain around my expansion implant)!! I'm anxious to get permission from my plastic surgeon to ride my bicycle again! In the mean time I plan to get my Palm set-up, a guest book, main page site counter on my blog and that Road ID link setup.

No comments: