The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The long awaited day has arrived!

Our soldier boy Morgan arrived in the states yesterday. I am off restrictions for the most part as of today. WOO HOO!! In otherwords, I can ride my bicycle but, not on long rides. I think that means I can't do 20+ milers. I am still battling it out with health insurance associated with my augmentation therapy as well as short term disability insurance through my credit union insurance provider. Is doesn't help that Mayo's insurance department is slow as a snail and I DO MEAN SLOW AS A SNAIL!!

Due to the fact I'm starting to stress over the insurance & bills I've decided to get busy with numerous projects till I return to work after 9/10/07. Worrying about insurance is fruitless. I know there is nothing in my control that can be done at this time to expediate the insurance issues. A distracted mind and busy hands is my cure for worry. I likely won't post much in the next few months unless I lose my job(which lets hope doesn't happen).

Yesterday, I went in to urgent care. I gave a sputum specimen and they said they will grow the cultures as long as they will grow to determine what bacteria I have in my lungs. I think most of my lung issues right now are due to the humidity as a result of all the recent rains. I was able to deliver information about the Alpha-Pack and alpha1 to the doctor who said he would copy and email it to all the Marshfield clinic pulmonologist and family practice doctors.

I also got signed up for the Chicago Healthy Lung Hike at Montrose September 23, 2007. If anyone would like to donate to the cause....I am part of TeamAlpha-Alpha1 foundation . From all the money raised by TeamAlpha seventy-five percent will go to the Alpha1 Foundation for research, detectiton and awareness programs! If anyone would like to walk for team alpha...by all means do so, too!

No comments: