The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's Clear As Mud...

Honestly!

Being a hero was never on the top of my my list of things to do. Being respected and making things good or better than when I arrived has been. Today I realized what Noreen had told me 2 years ago....I am a hero.

Being a hero doesn't make you perfect it just makes you unusually courageous! I used to joke in college...."When God gave out courage I snuck up and took an extra helping!". It may or may not be true. It also makes you react to things I think sometimes...not as appropriately as one should. Other times most appropriately when one should!

I met up with a friend of mine tonight who has Barick's(sp?) disease. We talked about how we've cheated death. I talked about how I cheated disability. Those kind of things make you kinda iron willed. It can be to your benefit or not to your benefit.

Today as I notice my herodom...I realized how important it is...no matter what....to keep up the good fight! It's because of Mary Peirce's, Shirley Dennis's, Len Geiger's and Karen Erickson's that people begin to realize...it isn't over till....IT'S REALLY OVER!!

Most importantly I realized no matter what I could never stop being an alpha1 advocate. I think of the people that came before me and inspired me and realize I have an obligation I can never shirk.

No comments: