The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Saturday, June 6, 2009

How Do You Hug Someone For Possibly The Very Last Time?

That was a recent post on Facebook by a dear friend of mine. The person he was refering to was his grandma. She IS the sweetest person I have EVER met!!! In 1995 I spent Christmas with them. I had stepped out of the family picture. She said : "You're like a second daughter to us. You have to be in the picture!" I don't have a picture of it but, I will never forget that day! There a million other moments, too!

I've never seen her angry. She always has spoken cheerfully. She has a wonderful sense of humor & loves to have fun. She's always been very affectionate. She always says something encouraging to you when she talks to you. She is the most amazing person! I know I talked about Noreen who passed away from luekemia a few years ago and how I would like to have her grace while aging not so gracefully. I'd also like to have Barbara's cheerful and patient disposition as well.

How do you hug someone for possibly the very last time???

I guess the very best you can...enjoy the feeling...make sure they know they have special qualities that you hold dear....not everybody gets that chance...embrace the moment. As a couple of my high school classmates have told me to help me keep things in perspective....Katie, I could walk outside and be hit by a car. We all need to make the most of life where we're at right now.

No comments: