The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Beyond every black cloud there is a silver lining!

I set the alarm for 10am and woke around 8:30am. I got up by 9am filled with good intentions. I got up and had the closest thing I have had to breakfast in ages!! I poured myself a glass of milk and proceeded to follow it with a packet of carnation instant breakfast powder. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf!! My sisters will tell you it takes me at least two cups of coffee before I resemble somebody awake! Well, stage one is going pretty good. Denny W. has been telling me how the body is an engine and you gotta keep it fueled.

Stage two is to get dressed in bike gear and hit the road. I get my bike shorts & jersey on, step outside and realize it is still chilly out. So, I decide maybe I should put those cold weather bottom tights on. I still am not warm enough so, I put on the free CSL Behring jacket on and decide I'm too hot! Then I spy a fleece pullover and decide that might just be the trick.....this is almost as bad as deciding what to wear on a first date of someone you REALLY want to impress!!

NOW, to stage three!! I take bike outside and proceed to try to pedal to the end of the driveway. By the time I get to the end of the driveway I realize the chain is stuck and half off the front sprocket! I proceed to dig through my repair kit bag for my multi-tool. Ah-hah, I find it. I soon discover I do not have a hex wrench large enough to fix what ails my bike. I am really desperate to get riding time in on my bike so, I load it up and take it to Grinders skateboard & bike shop(read only bike shop in 2 county area) in Rice Lake to have them fix it. I get there and the owner proceeds to put a tag on it and make some sort of reference to my leaving it there. I tell him "Hey! Wait!! You don't understand I have my first bike trek on May 6th. I CAN'T leave it hear. I haven't gotten any bike time in over 2 days! I rode 18.9 miles 3 days ago(of course there is an obviously dedicated bicyclist standing there waiting to drop her bike off and she throws her head back and cackles!). He says "Ok, but it won't be done till 12pm." I tell him that's fine. I realize all my well laid plans have gone right out the door. I think about those dreadful medical assistance papers I have mostly completed......I really envy those of you who view mathmatics as fun......I decide that would be the best use of my time(complete & mail med assistance paperwork). I am one of those people when she is faced with 1/4 inch of mathmatical paperwork for one task her eyes roll to the back of her head with her first glance!!

I blow the healthy eating regime and eat a patty melt and wedge fries w/ ranch dressing at Dana's Beer Cheese Bar & Grill while waiting but, I did get the paperwork signed, dated & mailed. Hoorah!! I do not need to worry about it for another year!!

I stop by the bike shop at 12:30pm. They not only have my chain adjusted...they also have my cadence working so I can use my $3??.00 Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer in combination with my Spinervals DVD's. I now have no excuse rain or shine why I can't train! It cost me(drum roll please......$7.39...I expected it to cost me a lot more!!!). I also found that they could get me that Rosie The Riveter bicycle jersey for $25 less than I could online.

Have a Great Day Folks!

No comments: