The Top10 Things You Should Do If You Test Positive For Alpha1

  • Have A List Of Questions When You See a Doctor About Your Alpha1(If you try to remember the questions you want to ask you may forget half of them)
  • Learn To Breathe Effectively
  • Limit Or Eliminate Your Alcohol Consumption
  • Don't Be Afraid To Be Proactive About Your Alpha1
  • Get Plenty Of Rest(You will likely have a higher oxygenation level)
  • Avoid Sick People(You have a lower immune system than most people)
  • Drink Plenty Of Water
  • Eat Healthy/Avoid Processed Food(Carbonated beverages)
  • Start A Careful Exercise Program/Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program(Your muscles will become more efficient so they won't use as much oxygen and if you have surgery you will likely recover quicker as well)
  • Stop Smoking

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Saturday's bike ride....

I felt the results were satisfactory. I biked 18.9miles of up and down road. Rode against the wind in some places but, was able to keep pedaling. I used a breathing technique I had learned from my sister Johanna which enabled me to ride against the wind without my lungs tightening up too bad. I inhaled through the nose and exhaled through my mouth( I let my upper lip overlap the lower lip to prevent the air from being forced back in. I pedalled over to Bruce, WI at an average speed of 10mph and pedaled back at an average speed of 7.5mph. The temperature dropped on the way back and it was a cold damp that started to set in. I hopped off my bike on three seperate inclines as I wasn't sure if I could hang in there to recovery. As I told a friend " I figure it would be less painful passing out holding up the bike than pedaling the bike." It's actually a lot easier to walk the bike than pedal at the top of those inclines. I average about 2mph walking but, I'm sure in time my stamina will increase and I won't have to do that!

I was sore all over. The fact I was saddle sore surprised me! I had intended to take a bath when I got home but, was concerned I'd fall asleep in the tub so, I went to bed instead. I don't remember my head hitting the pillow. I also decided after my bath Sunday morning I was going to allow my body a day or two to recover before I biked again.

For the first time this year I was able to pedal up to my driveway and not hop off. As I said I was sore all over but, I think that just indicates I went beyond my comfort level. I'm going to have to do a lot more of that before the 100k Dairyand Dare though!!

Tomorrow I have a 12mile bike training planned.

No comments: